I decided to collect some Titanic related fake or otherwise misleading photos although these have been debunked many times.
2) The following photo is often titled as “The last known photo of the Titanic”
That is not true. The last photo of the Titanic was taken by John Morrogh at Red Bay, Crosshaven, after the vessel had left Queenstown.
3) This photo below is often titled as “The Grand Staircase of the Titanic, 1912”
That is the grand staircase of the RMS Olympic. There are no original photographs of the one in Titanic.
4) Next one is often shared as a photo of Titanic’s propellers
That is a photo of the RMS Mauretania taken in Canada Dock in Liverpool, 1909.
5) This photo is generally shared as the The first class lounge on board Titanic, 1912
It is in fact a photo of the first class lounge of the RMS Olympic taken in 1911. Thanks to Jamie Angus for pointing this out.
6) This photo is often shared with a title “Anchor Men – Titanic”
More accurate title: “Anchor Men – RMS Mauretania”. Source: Wikipedia. Photo via Tyne & Wear Archives and Museums.
7) This photo is often shared as Titanic’s First Class Suite
That is not a real photo of the first class suite aboard the Titanic. It is a recreation of the Sitting Room B51 probably from one of the Titanic exhibitions.
This photograph is most likely copied from a book “Titanic: The Myths and Legacy of a Disaster” by Roger and June Cartwright.
Below is one real photo of the same room aboard the Titanic:
8) Last known photograph of the Titanic on the surface of the ocean
There is a claim that the photo below, taken by Francis Browne, is the last known photograph of the Titanic.
That is not true. The last photograph of the Titanic was taken at Crosshaven, Co Cork, Ireland, just after the vessel departed Queenstown:
Source: Encyclopedia Titanica.
9) Titanic “was the first 9/11”
There is a conspiracy theory that the Titanic accident was staged. It is not true – just like it is untrue and unproven that 9/11 terrorist attack was an insider job.
One part of the conspiracy theory claims that it was the Olympic, not the Titanic that sank. This claim was backed up by footage of the wreck hull showing letters MP. All this is complete nonsense. Suggested reading: Debunked: Conspiracy of the Titanic, first staged 9-11.
10) Canine casualties
The next photo is often shared with a false caption: Dogs which survived the Titanic disaster.
Unfortunately these dogs didn’t make it. Three other dogs did survive: two Pomeranian and one Pekinese.